Lecture Notes for Honors Basic Algorithms, Fall 2000
I will place (rough) lecture notes here when
available. There is no guarantee of completeness,
or of close correspondence to what I actually
say in class :-).
These notes are numbered "sequentially" as I put them in.
- Lecture 1: introductory lecture
- Lecture 2: basic Java and some ADT's
- Lecture 3: solving recurrences by Rote
- Lecture 4: techniques for Solving Recurrences
- Lecture 5: Discrete Fourier Transform and the FFT algorithm
- Pick up your
Notes on FFT and Fast Integer Multiplication.
This is a postscript file. The class webpage can give you some help
in printing or viewing postscript files.
- Oct 16: Pick up your
Notes on Recurrences.
Here is the pdf version,
courtesy of your classmate Mark Mentovai.
- Oct 19: Mike Radin requests my notes on skip lists.
Here are my lecture notes
on Randomized Search trees which discuss skip lists.
NOTE: I have not yet converted them into a form that
is appropriate for our class, so use them
with this understanding!
- Nov 6: Lecture notes on AVL trees:
Read sections 1, 3 and 5,
and use the others for reference.
- Dec 17: Lecture Notes on Probability:
This is released "as is", as I have not
had time to convert it to a form appropriate
for this class. The initial parts do resemble
our lectures in class, so it may be somewhat helpful.