[SMT-COMP] SMT-COMP 2019: Call for Comments, Benchmarks, Solvers

Giles Reger giles.reger at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 08:39:48 EST 2019

Tjark (and all),

I would add some points to what Aina wrote previously.

Aina pointed out that part of our reasoning was “to make results less predictable” but I would perhaps extend this and make it “to make results less predictable and more meaningful”. I would argue that the benchmarks we are removing are not useful in distinguishing solvers, they just make the gap between solvers (in terms of % of problems solved) smaller e.g. if 90% of benchmarks are ‘uninteresting’ then the gap between solvers is about an order of magnitude smaller than it would be if those benchmarks were removed. Solving an extra 50 problems out of a set of 500 is a more clear success than out of a set of 50000. I would also note that by using 1 second as the cut off we are still including those solved by all solvers in e.g. 2 seconds. We still preserve some of the `simple problems' whilst removing a large number of uninteresting cases.

With respect to overfitting, you make a good point that random selection doesn’t really solve this. We would ideally like a situation where unknown benchmarks were used but given the openness of SMT-LIB and the fact that many solver developers are involved in SMT-LIB and SMT-COMP we feel that this would be difficult to achieve in a transparent manner. Of course, an ideal situation would be the ‘Bring Your Own Benchmarks’ approach taken by the SAT competition.

You are right that it’s important to focus on validity (i.e., is the competition measuring the right thing?) and reliability (i.e., would repeated measurements produce similar results?). We have spent quite a while discussing what it is we think the competition should be trying to achieve.

With respect to validity,  e.g. what do we want to measure, I would say that we want to measure the performance of solvers on interesting, challenging benchmarks. It is good to reflect on the primary goals of the competition. To us, and I’m sure to many, the primary goal is to encourage new developments. These uninteresting benchmarks don’t seem useful for this.

With respect to reliability, would things look the same if we ran the competition now and when if we ran it after some more benchmarks were added… perhaps not. I would also suggest that there is a far greater randomness at play here - the randomness of which problems are submitted to SMT-LIB. It seems doubtful that SMT-LIB represents something that is even close to a uniform sample of the set of all interesting problems. We can’t do much about this but this is part of the reason why I am not opposed, in principle, to random selection.

As a final point, one motivation for us as organisers is to make things a little more fun. Extra prizes etc help but we are also keen to inject a bit of suspense into the competition.

Cheers, Giles