[SMT-COMP] SMT-COMP 2019: Call for Comments, Benchmarks, Solvers

Tjark Weber tjark.weber at it.uu.se
Wed Jan 30 05:39:37 EST 2019

Aina,

You made a number of good points, with which I generally agree. Thus,
just briefly:

On Tue, 2019-01-29 at 09:09 -0800, Aina Niemetz wrote:
> The main reason for the decision to use a subset rather than the whole
> set of benchmarks in SMT-LIB is not to increase the time limit. It is to
> make the results less predictable and to discourage solver developers to
> overfit to a fixed problem set.

Re predictability: it is certainly good if multiple solvers receive
recognition. A good way to achieve this is to use multiple tracks,
divisions, and special awards. (Your plans to recognize solvers based
on different timeouts, and based on sat/unsat performance only, are
great examples.) However, for the results within each division, I would
encourage you to focus on validity (i.e., is the competition measuring
the right thing?) and reliability (i.e., would repeated measurements
produce similar results?). May the best solvers win!

Re overfitting: when you select a random subset of SMT-LIB benchmarks,
isn't it still the best strategy for a solver to (over-)fit to the set
of (all) SMT-LIB benchmarks? To discourage overfitting, it would help
to have a significant proportion of new, previously unknown benchmarks
each year (but that may not be very practical, and not publishing these
benchmarks beforehand would of course be a break with tradition).

Best,
Tjark

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy