[SMT-COMP] [SMT-LIB] New logic for SMTLIBv2 - Separation Logic

Tinelli, Cesare cesare-tinelli at uiowa.edu
Mon May 26 00:53:03 EDT 2014

David,

It is exciting to see that a new community of separation logic solvers is forming and that the SMT-COMP organizers are willing to have a demonstration division for such solvers at SMT-COMP'14.

Before we see the details of the proposal by the SL community of an SMT-LIB theory modeling separation logic, I would recommend that SMT-COMP organizers clearly distinguish this new demonstration division from the rest of SMT-COMP and in fact even call it something else, like SL-COMP, say.

The reason is that is not clear at the moment that the "QF_S" logic you mention below could be defined a sub-logic of the underlying (classical, first-order) SMT-LIB logic. If that is not possible, we would not be able to incorporate separation logic in the SMT-LIB standard. Hence, it could be confusing to have a separation logic division at SMT-COMP which is a competition of SMT-LIB-compliant solvers.

Also, I would not recommend using QF_S for the logic since we already had plans to use S for the theory of sequences, which is currently under discussion and I hope will be finalized soon.

As for the process of proposing a new SMT-LIB theory, here are the steps that have been followed in the past:

1) A person or a group has a first round of discussions with the SMT-LIB coordinators
   to see if there exist basic conditions for a new SMT-LIB theory and related logics.
   These conditions include
   a) The proposed theory can be in fact modeled as an SMT-LIB theory (i.e., as a set
      of many-sorted structures over a first order signature, as specified in the
      SMT-LIB standard.)
   b) There are enough people interested in using this theory.
   c) There are, or there could be, enough benchmarks based on this theory.

2) A work group is formed consisting of people interested in the new theory, including
   solver developers, users, and one or more of the SMT-LIB organizers (the role of the
   latter is mostly to make sure that the proposed theory and the logic definition are
   SMT-LIB compliant).

4) The work group discusses the extension in depth and prepares a detailed proposal.

5) The proposal is presented to the SMT-LIB community via this discussion list.

6) Feedback from the community is used to improve the final version of the proposal.

7) The proposed extension is officially incorporated into the standard and documented on the SMT-LIB site.

So the next step in this instance is for the SMT-LIB coordinators to have a round of emails with Mihaela, and whoever else she would like to include, to see if the conditions to move to Step 2 are satisfied.

Best,

Cesare