[FOM] CFR and Programme: SoTFoM III and The Hyperuniverse Programme, Vienna, 21-23 September 2015.

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 00:50:38 EDT 2015

I know about this result http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0311165.pdf

and should have mentioned it. But this is a very brutal and totally
unsatisfactory kind of definability for use in such a fundamental
issue, and I said "none in various senses". One sense I had in mind is
this.

THEOREM. There is no formula of ZFC such that, provably, in ZFC,
defines a proper elementary extension (R*,Z*,+*,dot*) of (R,Z,+,dot)
together with an element of Z*\Z.

Here (R,Z,+,dot) is the field of reals with a predicate for the integers.

The above means roughly that you cannot name ANY new integer. They are
all ephemeral. In every mathematical situation I know of that is not
deeply pathological in the sense under discussion, when you extend
some beloved structure you have motivating examples of new elements
being introduced.

This doesn't mean that nonstandard analysis is a bad idea. It just
highlights some sharp differences from a lot of celebrated
mathematics.

By the way, I think the impressive paper above, which concerns only
definable the global structure, does raise some interesting issues.
For example,

THEOREM. There is no formula of ZFC such that, provably in ZFC,
defines a proper elementary extension (R*,Z*,+*,dot*) of (R,Z,+,dot)
lying in HOD(R).

Harvey Friedman