[FOM] Removing Deep Pathology 1

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Fri Aug 21 07:25:12 EDT 2015

The circles of the Hopf fibration are just topologically circles, while I
think those intended by the example

> 4)  The partition of 3-space by (infinitely long) non-parallel lines.
> 4a)  "      "     "     "     "  non-parallel circles.

are metric circles.  Anyway the fibers of the Hopf fibration do not lie in
non-parallel planes, since they do not lie in planes at all.

More to Harvey's point, while the Hopf fibration had a surprising
consequence in topology (non-triviality of higher homotopy of spheres), it
is not pathological in any logical sense.  It is explicitly definable by
degree 4 polynomials.

Colin