[FOM] An argument for V = L

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 5 13:44:47 EDT 2014

Colin McLarty wrote:

>> Why is this a "monkey wrench"?  Why is it not just a reason to continue
>> pursuing low complexity sentences of clear mathematical interest
>> equivalent to consistency of various formal systems?

Friedman of course can speak for himself, but I interpreted him to mean
that the "ordinary mathematician" who hopes that a single axiom (V = L)
will eliminate all set-theoretical difficulties is perhaps being too
optimistic, because "small large cardinal" hypotheses may still rear their
head.

But I agree that this shouldn't stop said ordinary mathematician from
adopting V = L.  It will do nicely for now, and if some day Mahlo
cardinals or whatnot intrude into ordinary mathematics, then we can cross
that bridge when we get to it.

Tim