[FOM] Memorial announcement of the passing of Dr Irving H. Anellis.[from Steven Ericsson-Zenith]

Steven Ericsson-Zenith martin at eipye.com
Tue Jul 16 01:03:48 EDT 2013

Dear List,

I am very, very, sad to hear the news of the passing of Irving Anellis.

Irving was a wonderful historian of logic and
mathematics, a warm and open scholar who never
failed to provide exceptional, thorough, and
imaginative analysis. His papers are certainly
among the most comprehensive and insightful in the field.

His scholarship and interest in Peirce studies
built one of only a few bridges between the
contemporary community of logicians, in which
Peirce is too rarely considered, and the
marginalized work of Charles Peirce. He sought to
repair the neglect of Peirce by his peers and his teachers.

Today we have lost a most valuable colleague.
Personally I regret that I have so many more
questions that I should like to ask of him. He
was a wonderful colleague and resource.

Best regards,
Steven

--
	Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
	Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering

On Jul 15, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Gary Richmond <gary.richmond at gmail.com> wrote:

 > List,
 >
 > I have just learned from Nathan Houser that
Dr. Irving H. Anellis passed away.today, possibly
from a heart attack. Nathan found him on the
floor in his home when he went to pick him up for
an appointment this morning. He asked that I post
this memorial announcement written by André De Tienne.

 > I am deeply saddened by Dr. Anellis' passing
and have no words now to express exactly what a
loss to the Peirce community I consider his passing to be.

 > Best,
 >
 > Gary

Dr. Irving H. Anellis, a long-time Contributing
Editor and  Visiting Research Associate of the
Peirce Edition Project in the Institute for
American Thought, has just passed away. Dr.
Anellis became a Contributing Editor for logic
and mathematics in 1989, and a Visiting Research
Associate in 2008 after he moved from Fort Dodge,
Iowa to Indianapolis, Indiana. He taught
“Intermediate Symbolic Logic” and “Advanced
Symbolic Logic” at IUPUI during the Fall of 2009.

 > With his passing we have lost one of the
nation's preeminent historians of logic and
mathematics. Dr. Anellis received his Ph.D. in
philosophy from Brandeis University in 1977 with
a dissertation on "Ontological Commitment in
Ideal Languages: Semantic Interpretations for
Logical Positivism." Since then, he built his
reputation through a life entirely dedicated to
scholarship. We owe him more than 430
publications, among which four books (including
his 1994 Jean van Heijenoort: Logic and Its
History in the Work and Writings of Jean van
Heijenoort, and his 2006 Evaluating Bertrand
Russell, the Logician and His Work); and 103
articles on the history of logic, 211 reviews,
abstracts, or notes, 36 edited works, and 78
pieces on subjects as varied as psychology,
philosophy of mind, artificial intelligence,
cognitive sciences, mental health, Soviet
philosophy, history of science, Russian and
Soviet history and culture. A student of
historian of logic Jean van Heijenoort, Anellis's
early research centered on mathematical logic, in
particular in proof theory and metamathematics,
and on applications of logic to algebraic
structures, including Boolean algebras and group
theory. His recent historical research focused on
the work of Bertrand Russell in set theory and
logic and of Charles Sanders Peirce in algebra
and algebraic logic; on the history of proof
theory, especially regarding the roles of the
Löwenheim-Skolem Theorem and Herbrand’s
Fundamental Theorem; and on the history of logic
and mathematics in Russia. Dr. Anellis was also
much interested in applications of mathematics in
linguistics, psychology, education, and in the
logic of mental acts, the logical formalization
of intentionality, and the logic and algebra of
neural networks. His philosophical interests
encompassed the philosophy of logic and of
mathematics, Austrian realism, phenomenology, and
logical positivism. He was the founding editor of
the journalModern Logic, served as a reviewer or
referee for numerous journals, and as a
contributor to several academic societies or
commissions, including most recently the advisory
board of the Hilbert-Bernays Project.

 > Irving Anellis was a modest and delightful
person, sweet and humorous. His was a life of
service to knowledge, and the Peirce Project has
immensely benefited from his encyclopedic mind.
Over the last few years Anellis wrote hundreds of
detailed annotations for our volume 11, which
will contain the 22 chapters of Peirce's
unpublished masterpiece, "How to Reason: A
Critick of Arguments" (1894). Anellis was far
from finished with this painstaking work, but the
legacy he leaves us will make of this volume a
monument to his prodigious mastery of the entire
history of logic. He was also working on numerous
other projects, including his long-planned magnum
opus, "From Algebraic Logic to Logistic," which
was to be a summation of his work in the history
of logic, and a special essay on "The History and
Development of Mathematical Logic, from Descartes
and Leibniz to the Present," to be published in
the Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, UNESCO.

 > One of Irving's favorite sayings was Peirce's
remark, "One's special knowledge of logic can be
a painful cross to bear but duty demands that you
fulfill your calling." Irving bore such a cross
and fulfilled its duty with admirable resilience
and simple grace. We shall long remain in his debt.