[FOM] Square of Opposition

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 4 17:00:36 EST 2013

	   For fun -- supposing you go into this sort of thing -- the abstracts of numerous articles on this topic can be read at: http://www.square-of-opposition.org/images/handbook.pdf.  In particular, it looks as though the article by Arthur Bierman may be just what you're looking for.  Bierman taught logic at San Francisco State in the early 60's, using his own book consisting of a mock dialogue on logic between Mr. Penny and Mr. Nickel. (The core idea, Bierman tells us early, is that a good teacher, Mr. Penny, should be able to inculcate in any student, Mr. Nickel, five times the amount of logic that he knows.)  This,...uh, amusing book was sadly tossed out of the curriculum when a student of Richard Montague (Nino Cocchiarella) usurped Bierman's role as resident logician, teaching f-o logic (and much more) from the venerable text by Kalish & Montague.