[FOM] Simple and difficult

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Apr 6 01:56:28 EDT 2013

Friedman's paper "Primitive Independence Results", available here

http://www.math.osu.edu/~friedman.8/pdf/PrimitiveIndResults071302.pdf

gives simpler versions of the theorem below which don't require the concept of injection or surjection. His proposition 4.2

"There is a set E such that every transitive set not in E contains a 4 element chain"

is very easy to formalize completely, but it contains 7 quantifiers; his proposition 4.5 is more technically complex but contains only 5 quantifiers. His proposition 5.1

"Every transitive proper class contains a 4 element chain"

is simpler still, although it requires NBG instead of ZFC.

Here "x is transitive" is written

AyAz (y /in x & z /in y)=>(z /in x)

and "x contains a 4 element chain" can be written

EaEbEcEd (a /subset b & b /subset c & c /subset d & a /in x & b /in x & c /in x & d /in x)

Further simplifications come from the observation that all transitive sets with at least 2 elements contain {} and {{}} so that you really only need 2 element chains not including {} and {{}}. The set { {}, {{}}, {{{}}}, {{{{}}}}, ... } is an infinite transitive set with no 3-element chain, but it is essentially the only one: any infinite transitive set with an infinite element contains a 3-element chain.

Given an inaccessible, I would like to see an explicit construction of a transitive set of inaccessible size with no 4-element chain. Such an example can probably be extracted from Harvey's proof.

-- JS