[FOM] Disguised Set Theory "DST"

Zuhair Abdul Ghafoor Al-Johar zaljohar at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 06:16:57 EDT 2011

Dear F.Bjordal:

 Your main mistake was mixing up your intended concepts
with your contextual definitions that didn't copy them
fully. Also you mixed up between privet and public
membership relations, which is quite natural really.

By the way, DST was further scrutinized by Holmes
and myself.

 Regarding making use of sets as provided by
the set brackets in disguised comprehension, this
is allowed when those sets are replacing a *parameter*
in a disguised formula. That's why Holmes's formula
is disguised, since 0 in it is replacing a parameter.
Also your inclusion of 0 in your formula was not
a mistake.

The theory is not bizarre, it is non standard, but
definitely follows a disciplined axiomatic system.
Its axioms pivots around a central theme, unlike
ZF which has an ad hoc looking axiomatic system
although its structure is naturally looking. The
only theory that has a more disciplined looking
axiomatic system is NF actually.

Definitely DST is hard to work with, and a lot of
confusion between public and privet membership
occurs, and its structure is not that natural,
and for now we don't have a clear idea about
what that structure is, so it has unclear semantics
yes. And no matter what that structure
turns to be it is definitely by far much more
difficult to understand than that of ZF.
All those are drawbacks of DST.

We already know that DST interprets bounded ZF
-Power-Infinity, and if filters were added
(if that was consistent) then it proves bounded ZF.
So it is definitely non trivial.

Regarding weather it would be mathematically
practicable this would largely depend on what
kind of results we can obtain from this theory,
if it is the same stuff we can obtain from
theories having clearer structure, then of course
one would prefer to practice in clearer milieu,
if it come up with new stuff that proves to be
mathematically significant that no parallel
theory with clearer structure provides then it would
be a media for practicing some mathematics.

And even if it turns to be inconsistent, i think
the proof of its inconsistency would be an interesting
work, since DST proves to be very elusive as far
as tripping into a paradox is concerned.

Your correspondence nevertheless was positive,
it opened the door for understanding how to carry
out inductive reasoning in DST, which is not
that straightforward.

Regards

Zuhair