[FOM] Formalization Thesis

Vladimir Sazonov Vladimir.Sazonov at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 17:19:39 EST 2008

joeshipman at aol.com wrote:

> I repeat my earlier challenge: can anyone who disputes Chow's
> Formalization Thesis respond with a SPECIFIC MATHEMATICAL STATEMENT
> which they are willing to claim is not, despite its expressiblity in
> English text on the FOM discussion forum, "faithfully representable"
> or "adequately expressible" as a sentence in the formal system ZFC?

Let me replace "in the formal system ZFC" by "in a formal system".

The rational reason for non-existence of such an example is that the
contemporary standard of mathematical rigour allows to call a text to
be mathematical only AFTER we were convinced that it is (potentially)
formalizable in an (adequately chosen) formal system (typically in ZFC,
but it could be any other).

Vladimir Sazonov