[FOM] Simplest universal Turing machine

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Oct 26 13:14:09 EDT 2007

PCE is much stronger than this. Wolfram surely meant "isn't obviously
simple" to cover behaviors that were complicated but recursive. Nobody
knows any non-contrived example of a computation of intermediate
degree, let alone a small one.

In order to make PCE precise, one must explicate "obviously simple",
but PCE doesn't need to be precise to be refutable. All one needs to do
to refute it is produce a process which

i) is simpler to define than Wolfram's "universal" examples
ii) does not obviously fail to be c.e.-complete
iii) is nonetheless provably not c.e.-complete

-- JS