[FOM] induction and reducibility

Robert Black Mongre at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 16:42:12 EDT 2007

Well, yes, but it's a drastic case. What Myhill shows is (roughly: I
haven't studied his paper with the care it deserves, because ramified
type theory makes my eyes go funny) that if without reducibility we
define N as the set of all the objects possessing every level-k
property possessed by 0 and inherited under succession then we don't
get induction for properties of level >k, and thus in particular we
don't get it for properties defined via a quantification over N, i.e.
most of the arithmetical properties we might be interested in. I
don't think this is a surprising result, but it can't be trivial, or
Goedel wouldn't have left it (as he did) as an open question.

Robert