[FOM] A proof that cannot be formalized in ZFC

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at berkeley.edu
Sat Oct 6 14:07:33 EDT 2007

I think the step that causes problems is the following:

> By translating this proof
> from the formal language of ZFC into English (that is, by applying
> the standard interpretation), we get a proof -- a mathematical proof
> in the everyday sense -- that ZFC has no model, contrary to the
> assumption that ZFC is consistent.

This step assumes that a formal proof in ZFC can be translated into "a
mathematical proof in the everyday sense" - but this is only correct
if ZFC is in fact true.

A related sort of reasoning is to argue that if a theory is true, then
it is consistent.  This is clearly correct (assuming that
paraconsistent logicians are wrong), but (by Godel's 2nd
incompleteness theorem) it is definitely not entailed by ZFC, or any
extension of it.

Best,
Kenny Easwaran