[FOM] Mathematical Knowledge

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Mar 24 04:18:22 EDT 2007

Paul Studtmann wrote:

> The question is this: what is the strongest mathematical system that
> mathematicians regularly employ that we know to be consistent.

It all depends on how exactly one understands "know" here. If one requires
a proof for the knowledge of consistency, I don't think we can get much
beyond PA. However, all ordinary mathematics can be developed in ACA_0,
which is a conservative extension of PA.  So one possible reply would be:
ACA_0 is the strongest mathematical system that mathematicians regularly
employ (that is, outside set theory), and we know (I think) it is
consistent.

However, we have lots of scientific knowledge which is more empirical in
character, and we do not have proof for these results. So I think it is
artificial to restrict "knowledge" to mathematically provable. We can
think that a stronger theory, e.g. ZFC, formalizes an intuitive notion
(here: the iterative concept of set); moreover, we have not been able to
reproduce any known paradoxes or to derive a contradiction in it; And we
may take thisto be sufficient for "the knowledge of consistency".
Analogously, in empirical science, we don't verify theories but only test
them and get inductive support for them (so far a theory has passed all
tests); usually, one talks about knowledge here.