[FOM] Extensionality and Church-Oswald constructions

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 27 08:18:04 EDT 2006

My initial reaction is twofold

(i)  It's best to nip the problem in the bud.

(ii) (this is the more important consideration, i think).  If you
do not enforce extensionality from the start you have the problem of
showing that the desirable properties of the construction are
preserved in the quotient.   Since the sentences that axiomatise set
theory are not of the right logical kind to be preserved by homomorphisms,
one has to put in a lot of extra work, which leads us back to (i)

Incidentally, don't look at the chapter of my book, read instead the
updated and improved version of it available from my home page.