[FOM] Directions for Computability Theory Beyond the PureMathematical

S. Spijkerman / F. Waaldijk sufra at hetnet.nl
Wed May 17 11:32:40 EDT 2006

thanx peter for your reply.

however i don't quite follow. actually, i was trying to point out the
opposite it seems? perhaps i should make myself a bit clearer.

i know of the discussion about determinism and quantum mechanics. however it
strikes me that `determinism' in that context is not very sharply
(mathematically) defined. and the subject of determinism seems a little
heated too...

but if we put aside any philosophical considerations, a very simple and
natural question about the physical world is this:

is nature capable of producing a non-computable (non-recursive) real number?

now the idea that i mentioned is to forget about any theory, and simply
perform a very blunt and direct numerical physical experiment. like i said,
take a fluctuating real from a physical measurement such as atmospheric
pressure or the like. and simply wait to see whether this real for some m
falls into an interval S_40,m . if for some m it does, well, i'm sorry but
then scientifically speaking i see no more basis to accept the belief that
nature is capable of producing non-computable sequences.

this would in my opinion cast a very different light on the relation between
recursive mathematics and classical mathematics. i mean, aren't we concerned
with how accurately mathematics reflects reality?

but perhaps i'm mistaken somewhere? therefore reactions are welcome!

frank waaldijk