[FOM] Directions for Computability Theory Beyond the Pure Mathematical

S. Spijkerman / F. Waaldijk sufra at hetnet.nl
Sun May 14 14:24:11 EDT 2006

perhaps you will allow me to introduce a related issue that i'm not sure
about.

i put it in my recent paper
(http://home.hetnet.nl/~sufra/foundations%20of%20constructive%20mathematics.pdf),
but i haven't had any really interested responses yet.

the issue is this:

1. we can construct (constructive!) coverings of the recursive interval
[0,1] which have arbitrarily small classical measure (although they are not
measurable constructively). in fact we can for any n give a countable
sequence of intervals (S_n,m)_(m in N) such that the recursive interval
[0,1] is covered by (S_n,m)_(m in N), and such that also constructively the
sum of the lengths of the intervals (S_n,m)_(m in N) does not exceed 2^(-n).

2. taking every 10 seconds say a nontrivial measurement from nature (a
fluctuating natural phenomenon) which in principle yields an infinite
sequence \alpha, we can easily transform \alpha to be a decimal real number
in [0,1].

3. letting H_0 be the hypothesis: `the real world is non-computable'
(popularly speaking), and letting \beta be the uncertainty parameter of say
2^(-40) , we could start constructing (S_40,m)_(m in N).

4. it seems to me that if we ever discover an m such that \alpha is in
S_40,m , then we have to discard H_0.

this seems to me a legitimate scientific experiment, which can be actually
carried out. of course, it is one-sided, but on the other hand any outcome
would be spectacular i think?

well, i hesitate but since it was printed already...go on and shoot...

frank