[FOM] Directions for Computability Theory Beyond the Pure Mathematical

John Case case at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Fri May 12 18:31:06 EDT 2006

Ted Slaman in [Long range goals, COMP-THY Archives, \#13, April 1998]
nicely mentioned the central theme of his intellectual motivation
(deriving from the influence of Sacks) for working in
Computability Theory (CT), a.k.a. Recursive Function Theory,
namely, definability.  There was also some call around that time
for posting new directions in CT.  I started to draft such a posting, but
didn't finish until yesterday.  When I was in Singapore January'06 and
talking with Sergey Goncharov also visiting there, he invited me to submit
a book chapter for [Mathematical Problems from Applied Logic.
New Logics for the XXIst Century II (edited by D. Gabbay, S. Goncharov, and
M. Zakharyaschev), International Mathematical Series, Springer, to appear
2006].   A draft of my intended book chapter, entitled,
Directions for Computability Theory Beyond Pure Mathematical, is, currently,
available from http://www.cis.udel.edu/~case/papers/rft-directions.pdf

(-8 John

John Case                              Email: case at cis.udel.edu
Professor                              Phone: +1-302-831-2714
Computer and Information Sciences Dept.
101A Smith Hall                          FAX: +1-302-831-8458
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2586 (USA)             Home: +1-302-836-4888