[FOM] Sharp mathematical distinction between potential and actualinfinity?

Alexander Zenkin alexzen at com2com.ru
Sun Sep 28 02:49:23 EDT 2003

	Dear Tim,

	A sharp definition of the potential infinity was given by Aristotle. Being
translated into the language of modern mathematics, the Aristotle definition
is a sharp definition of the infinity of the series 1,2,3, . . . by Peano's
axioms.
	As regards the notion of actual infinity, a lot of philosophers (beginning
from Aristotle) and mathematicians (Gauss, Kronecker, Poincare, Brouwer,
etc.) expressed their negative (intuitive though) opinion about the notion:
"Infinitum Actu Non Datur" (Aristotle), "I must protest most vehemently
against <the> use of the infinite as something consummated, as this is never
permitted in mathematics" (Gauss), "There is no actual infinity; Cantorians
forgot that and fell into contradictions. Later generations will regard
Mengenlehre (set theory) as a disease from which one has recovered "
(Poincare), and so on.
	Obviously, they, as outstanding logicians and mathematicians, had in mind
that the notion of actual infinity is a self-contradictory one.
	Your desire to have a sharp mathematical distinction between potential and
actual infinity can display the "tragic" fact that the actual infinity is
self-contradictory not only at a philosophical and intuitive level, but at
the formal ZFC-level as well. It would be terrible.
	I think that it is one of the main reasons why modern ZFC formalized and
axiomatized, by Bourbaki, "almost all mathematics", but hitherto has not a
sharp definitions of potential and actual infinity though, according to
S.Feferman, "some ZFC-axioms are justified by an assumption (!?) of actual
infinity" and, according to W.Hodges, "the ZFC-axioms include implicitly
(!?) actual infinity".

	By the way, a version of "a sharp mathematical distinction between
potential and actual infinity" was presented to the FOM-community:
[FOM] As to strict definitions of potential and actual infinities.
Alexander Zenkin
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2002-December/006121.html
and
FW: [FOM] As to strict definitions of potential and actual infinities.
Alexander Zenkin
at:    http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2003-January/006137.html

	Hope it will help to near to a solution of the main problem of Foundations
of Mathematics (not only of its part formalized in ZFC).

	Alexander Zenkin