[FOM] foundations of quasi-empiricism

Patrick Peccatte p.peccatte at ipa-france.com
Thu Sep 25 12:45:27 EDT 2003

To add some historical precisions to Panu's mail, two papers can be
considered as precursors of quasi-empiricism:
- Stephan Körner, 1965, An Empiricist Justification of Mathematics, in Y.
Bar-Hillel (ed.), Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Amsterdam :
North Holland, 1965, pp. 222-227. Proceedings of the 1964 International
Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science.
- László Kalmár, 1967, Foundations of mathematics - Whither now ? in I.
Lakatos (ed.). Problems in the Philosophy of Mathematics, Amsterdam :
North-Holland, 1967, pp. 192-193. Actes du Colloquium in the Philosophy of
Science, London, 1965. 187-194].

And three articles can be considered as foundations (not a joke!) of
quasi-empiricism:
- Imre Lakatos, 1967, A Renaissance of Empiricism in the Recent Philosophy
of Mathematics ? in Lakatos I. (ed.). Problems in the Philosophy of
Mathematics, Amsterdam : North-Holland, 1967, pp. 199-202.
- Hilary Putnam, Mathematics without foundations (The Journal of Philosophy,
LXIV, I 19 January 1967)
- Hilary Putnam, What Is Mathematical Truth ? in Philosophical Papers :
Mathematics, Matter and Method, Cambridge : Cambridge University Press,
1975.

More informations on
http://peccatte.karefil.com/Quasi/QuasiEmpirisme.html
(in French)