FOM: Recursion theory question

G Davie DAVIEG at unisa.ac.za
Tue May 28 06:13:10 EDT 2002

A few months ago Harvey Friedman made the following conjecture on FOM:

CONJECTURE. "The set of all n such that there exists e < n such that n is
the largest element of W_e" is of Turing degree 0'.

	I think I have a proof of Harvey Friedman's conjecture that works
for the acceptable Godel numberings of the partial recursive functions
used in the study of Kolmogorov complexity. Solovay has pointed out to me
that my proof can be adapted to the more usual Godel numberings presented
in elementary textbooks.

If anyone is interested I can sent them a pdf or ps version of this proof along with Solovay's remarks.

George Davie
Department of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Astronomy
University of South-Africa
South-Africa
email:davieg at unisa.ac.za