Intuition, Logic, and Induction.

Alexander Zenkin alexzen at com2com.ru
Sat Mar 6 06:54:47 EST 1999

    First of all, I would like to thank Samuel S. Kutler, Michael
Deakin, and Boaz Tsaban for their kind and interesting responses to my
question on who was the formal author of the mathematical induction
method ([HM]: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 03:18:50).
      As is known, from the "naive" point of view, the DEDUCTION is the
AUTHENTIC inference of a LESS COMMON statement (say, a theorem) from a
MORE COMMON statement (say, an axiom system that can be considered as
one conjunction of all axioms of the system). From the same point of
view, the INDUCTION is any inference of a MORE COMMON statement  from a
LESS COMMON statement. There are some different forms of the induction.
   1) The J.S.Mill's induction is an inference of COMMON statement from
a set of PARTICULAR facts. Such the COMMON statement can always be only
a PLAUSIBLE statement  (i.e., a hypothesis). Therefore, all laws of,
say, physics are only plausible hypotheses which, according to the
recognized K.Popper's paradigm, can be, in principle, falsifyed by some
new facts (usually, in the sense "advance", e.g., Newton == > Einstein,
and much more rare in the sense "disproof", e.g., Ptolemei (?sorry) == >
Coppernicus). All modern natural science is based upon that J.S.Mill's
induction paradigm.
      However, there are three type of the AUTHENTIC INDUCTION.
   2) The so-called full listed (perechislitel'naja) induction. Let
M={a1,a2,┘,an} be a FINITE set. By direct testing P(ai) for all
i=1,2,┘,n, we prove (of course, if there are not counter-examples,
not-P) the authentic truth of the common inductive statement (i)P(ai).
It is not the most interesting induction from the point of Mathematics
view.
   3) The complete mathematical induction (CMI) method is formulated so
(see Michael Detlefsen's FOM-message, Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:03:54):
   As to the CMI-method understanding, Stephen G Simpson (FOM-message,