FOM: Re: [HM] Aristotle's like-minded persons about Actual Infinity

Gregory Moore ghmoore at mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA
Sun Sep 13 10:53:19 EDT 1998

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Alexander Zenkin wrote:

> As is known, Aristotle was the first person who explicitly and
> definitely postulated: "Infinitum actu non datur".
> I think it would be interesting (for different goals :-) ) to list all
> his famous like-minded persons. Today, I have the following very
> approximate beginning of such the list:
>
> ARISTOTLE, LEIBNIZ, GAUSS, CAUCHY, POINCARE, BROUWER, WEYL, LUZIN, ...

Leibniz does not belong on this list, since he accepted the actual
infinite.  See, for example, the passage from Leibniz (quoted by
Cantor, Gesammelte Abhandlungen, p.179) beginning "Je suis tellement pour
l'infini actuel ...".

Cordially,
Greg Moore