FOM: Platonism and social constructivism

Reuben Hersh rhersh at math.unm.edu
Tue Mar 24 10:27:07 EST 1998

I think I agree with everything in your message.

It seems to me our only difference is of emphasis.

In particular, I have written repeatedly that once a mathematical
entity is invented, it has definite properties which we are not
free to choose, and which may be difficult or impossible for us
to discover.

By your definition, I am therefore not a social constructiviist.
But this is a label that I have never adopted.  Others have
chosen to attach it to me, without my permission.

Sincerely,

Reuben Hersh