FOM: social construction?

wtait@ix.netcom.com wtait at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 20 10:02:49 EST 1998

Charles Silver wrote (3/20)
>I believe Hersh is right that
>we find out what math is by investigating what mathematicians would do in
>certain circumstances.
Maybe this is right if we are taking the approach of anthropologists,
investigating the workings of an alien culture. But if you replace ``we
find out what math is by'' by ``we learn math by'', I think you are
clearly wrong. E.g. do we learn English by investigating what English
speakers do in certain circumstances? This would not be a good
description even of how we learn a second language. But the case that is
analogous to learning math is learning our native language; and here it
is a non-starter.

If the entire membership of AMS emailed in stating that there are only
finitely many prime numbers, I would be shocked that so many people had
gone mad all at once, not that an arithmetic truth had become false.

Bill Tait