FOM: Jurassic pebbles

Kanovei kanovei at wminf2.math.uni-wuppertal.de
Fri Mar 20 04:42:51 EST 1998

<So would it be fair to summarize this as "a time-varying perception of
<time-invariant mathematics?"  Seems a reasonable viewpoint.

Some of the words above do not belong to that minimum of
English which I am fluent in, so most likely I should not
answer yes or no.

To summarize my writings on this matter, I think that

1) there are concrete physical reasons (e.g. the
observable stability of counting) which, I think
force, in
1-1 way, the known to us development of arithmetic
(with its Lagrange theorem), by any
"celestial civilization" living in approximately
similar conditions.

2) keeping this in mind, we may admit that "the"
mathematics is time-invariant, as you suggest,
which may possibly be characterized as
some sort of platonism.

3) the abovewritten does not encounter such issues
as social construction of "celestials", their
psychology and perhaps other factors,
that is the matter
about which basically nothing is known leaving
aside phylosophical speculations, star treks,
and studies of New Guinea tribes.

Best,

Vladimir Kanovei