FOM: e-mail psychology

Reuben Hersh rhersh at math.unm.edu
Wed Mar 18 12:36:48 EST 1998

A while back I received a message explaining the difference between
FOM, F.O.M., fom and f.o.m.  Regrettably, I forgot which was which.

The following information I think is not about FOM or F.O.M. but
rather about "fom" or possibly "f.o.m.", as the case may be.

"When you type mail into the computer you feel you can say
anything...sometimes it gets pretty personal...I don't feel I am even
typing...I am thinking it, and there it is on the screen..."

Turkle, S. 1984  The second self. page 211  Simon & Schuster, New York

"An increased sense of self-focus may lead e-mail users to reveal their
own positions, without a great need to support or explore them, as this
would require an understanding that other people's perspecties are
important and that they may be quite different from their own...This
could lead to an escalating cycle of conflict and disagreement, and it
could increase the display of affect and uninhibited behavior
characteristic of computer uses."

Matheson, K. & Zanna, M.  1990  Computer-mediated communications:  The
focus is on me.  Social Science Computer Review:  8:  1-13,  page 9.

See also Kiesler, Siegel & McGuire, Amer. Psych., 39:1123-34

See also Kiesler, Zubrow, Moses & Geller, Human-Computer Interaction 1:77-104

See also Sproull & Kiesler, Brit. J. Soc. Psych 29:121-34.

"A hint to the wise is sufficient."

"But to the foolish...."