FOM: Basta

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Wed Mar 18 08:08:06 EST 1998

Solomon Feferman writes:
 > "Wet blanket" takes his leave.

Dear Sol,

I hope this doesn't mean you are withdrawing from the discussion here
on the FOM list.  Your contributions have been first-rate, and I'm
sure all of us were looking forward to hearing your insights on many
of the interesting f.o.m. topics that are under discussion and still
to come.  Your presence is extremely valuable to the FOM list.

Harvey went overboard by saying that you are a wet blanket.  Note
however that he said it "affectionately", and I feel that his comment
was directed not at you personally but at your attitude concerning the
significance of f.o.m. advances (he mentioned Cohen's work as an
example).  I hope you will put this aside and join in the discussion.

Best regards,
-- Steve

PS
A note to Harvey:
Harvey, it might be a good idea for you to rein in your rhetoric a
little bit, especially when it comes to eminent f.o.m. researchers
such as Sol Feferman.