FOM: Reply to Pratt: Einstein, determinism, uncertainty

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.Stanford.EDU
Fri Mar 6 13:58:41 EST 1998

From: JSHIPMAN at bloomberg.net (JOE SHIPMAN, BLOOMBERG/  SKILLMAN)
>EPR rejected [Heisenberg uncertainty] with the argument you recapitulate

Hooray, we agree on what Einstein was rejecting,  If I now modify what
you were objecting to,

>Einstein rejected the new quantum mechanics of Heisenberg and
>Schroedinger because its intrinsically probabilistic component
>conflicted with his pre-1926 view of the universe as governed by entirely
>deterministic laws.

by replacing "intrinsically probabilistic component" with "intrinsic
indeterminacy" and "deterministic" with "determinate," we should now
hopefully be in perfect agreement.

Harvey, don't get me wrong, I didn't intend my Einstein analogy to
require this degree of precision.  :)

Vaughan Pratt