FOM: Tait on truth

John Mayberry J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 12:07:04 EST 1998

	Having delivered a sermon on the need for us all to temper our
rhetoric, I have now been caught out employing strong rhetoric myself.
Perhaps I should say "Do as I say, not as I do". I acknowledge that
there is some justice in Bill Tait's remonstration, and I hope that
Carsten Butz, whose contributions I read with interest, is not offended.
	But I cannot agree with Tait that the
there-is-no-such-thing-as-truth doctrine is merely false. "Absolute
nonsense" may be rhetorical excess, but "nonsense", stript, if
possible, of its pejorative overtones (and maybe even "false" sounds
pejorative to some) is nearer to the mark. Because if there is no such
thing as speaking truly, there is no such thing as speaking
meaningfully - at least, so it seems to me. And the declaration "There
are no true propositions in mathematics, although I spend my
professional life producing proofs of mathematical propositions" sounds
pretty odd, though no doubt Butz would not have put things that way
himself.

John Mayberry
Lecturer in Mathematics
J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk