Assigned: Feb. 17
Due: Feb. 26
(Tanenbaum Problem 3.18) A computer has six tape drives with n
processes competing for them. Each process may need two drives.
For which values of n deadlock free?
Suppose you have the following deadlocked situation. There are five
processes, A,B,C,D,E and five resources U,V,W,X,Y.
A holds U and is requesting X.
B holds V and is requesting U and W.
C holds Y and is requesting V.
D holds W and is requesting U and Y.
E is requesting V.
- A. Which, if any, of the processes is not deadlocked?
- B. For each of the following operations, state whether it will break
the deadlock or not.
- i. Kill A.
- ii. Kill B.
- iii. Kill C.
- iv. Kill D.
- v. Kill E.
- vi. Preempt U and assign it to B.
- vii. Preempt U and assign it to D.
- viii. Preempt V and assign it to C.
- ix. Preempt W and assign it to B.
- x. Preempt Y and assign it to D.