V22.0101 Introduction to Computer Science I
Sending files via email
- On the pine menu, choose Compose message
to write an email message, and address your message.
- After you address your email message, Hit control J, i.e.,
depress the J key while holding down the Ctrl key. This
is indicated as
^J in computer speak. Note that
appears at the bottom of the screen as one of the options. So,
even if you forget which keys to depress, the computer will guide
- The next screen to appear will have
^T To files at
the bottom of the screen. Hit Ctrl T to view the files in your
- When the files are displayed, use the arrow keys to select
the directory and then the file you wish to send. This will be called the
attached file. As you depress these keys, the
selected files wil appear shaded. Finally, when you choose
the desired file, depress the Enter key.
- The next screen will display Attach comment. If you
want the email message to indicate a comment describing the
attached file, type the comment and then hit Enter, or simply hit
Enter if you want the default comment to appear.
- Next hit Ctrl X to send the message.
- Finally, the computer will display Send Message?. Type
Y and the message will be sent.
Receiving files via email
- When you receive mail containing an attachment, hit V
to view the attachment. If you forget what key to press, the
bottom of the screen includes V ViewAttach as an option.
- The next screen will have a list of the attachments. Use the
down arrow key to select the desired attachment and then hit V
to view it. If you want to save the attachment as a file in your home
directory, hit the S key. Then hit E to exit the viewing
mode, and then E to exit the view index and finally M and
Q, as usual, to quit pine.
Sun Nov 24 10:57:04 EST 1996