V22.0101 Introduction to Computer Science I
Uploading and downloading files via WS_FTP
- Open the NYU-NET.95 folder.
- Double click the WS_FTP icon to open the Session
profile dialog box. If the Session profile does not appear,
click the WS_FTP icon and the hit the Enter key. FTP
stands for File Transfer Protocol.
- When the Session profile appears, fill in the
Host Name box with the name of your Unix machine, for instance,
is4.nyu.edu. The Host Type should be Automatic Detect.
- In the User ID box, type your user name, e.g., marateck.
- Click the Save Password box and type your password in the
- The Remote Host box is for the subdirectory you want to
use on your Unix machine. Most likely, you will want to use your home
directory (the one you are in when you login to your Unix account), so
leave this box blank. If, however, you want to transfer a file to or
from a subdirectory, e.g., Homework, type Homework here.
- In the Local PC box, type the name of the subdirectory on the
C drive that you want to transfer files to or from. Most likely this will
- Click the OK button.
- The WS_FTP dialog box will then appear on the screen, and after a while,
the local and remote directory names will appear at the top of two windows.
The one on the left will have the files in the indicated subdirectory on the
local PC, and the one on the right will have the files in the indicated
directory on the remote host. Click the file name you want to send. Next
click the ASCII button with the mouse. If the ASCII button is not
clicked, every other line in your transferred file will be blank.
This will make the e-tutor's job more difficult.
- Two arrows appear in the middle of the display, Press the ``->''
if you have selected a file on the local PC to send to the remote host
(your Unix machine), or press the ``<-'' if you selected a file on the
remote host and want to send it to the local PC. As the file is being
transferred, a thermometer type display shows how much of the file has
- Finally, click the Exit button to terminate your
Sun Nov 24 10:58:51 EST 1996