John Byers, Michael Luby, Michael Mitzenmacher and A. Rege. "A Digital Fountain Approach to Reliable Distribution of Bulk Data". In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, Vancouver, Canada, September 1998.PDF.
Paper Reading List
Evolution of the Internet [Lecture 1]
- D. Clark, "The Design
Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols", SIGCOM'88, 106-114, Palo
Alto, CA, Sept 1988. [pdf]
- V.G. Cerf and R.E. Kahn, "A
Protocol for Packet Network Interconnection", IEEE Transaction on
Communications, 22(5), May 1974, pp. 637-648.[pdf]
- D. Clark. "Rethinking the
Design of the Internet: end to end arguments vs. the brave new
world." Presented at TPRC 2000, Alexandria, Va., September 23-25th,
- J. Saltzer, D. Reed, and D. Clark,
"End-to-end Arguments in System Design". ACM Transactions on
Computer Systems (TOCS), Vol. 2, No. 4, 1984, pp. 195-206.[pdf]
- J. Postel, "Internet
Protocol", RFC 791, Sept 1981.
- J. Postel, "Transmission
Control Protocol", RFC 793, Sept 1981.
- H. Zimmerman, "OSI Reference
Model -- The ISO Model of Architecture for Open Systems
Interconnection", IEEE Transactions on Communications, 28(4), April,
1980, pp. 425-432.[pdf]
Naming and Addressing [Lecture 2]
- P. Mockapatris, K.J. Dunlap,
"Development of the Domain Name System",ACM SIGCOMM 1988. [pdf]
- W. Adjie-Winoto, E. Schwartz, H.
Balakrishnan, J.Lilley, "Design and Implemenatation of an Intentional
Naming System", ACM SOSP 1999. [pdf]
- H. Balakrishnan, K.
Lakshminarayanan, S. Ratnasamy, S.Shenker, I.Stoica and M.Walfish. "
A Layered Naming Architecture for the Internet", ACM SIGCOMM 2004 [pdf]
- B. Ford, J. Strauss, C.
Lesniiewski-Laas, S. Rhea, F. Kaashoek and R. Morris. "User-Relatives
Names for Globally Connected Personal Devices", USENIX OSDI 2006.
Routing in the Internet World
- T. Griffin, "An Introduction
to Interdomain Routing and BGP", ICNP 2002 Tutorial. [ppt]
- T. G. Griffin, F. B. Shepherd and
G. Wilfong, "The Stable Paths Problem and Interdomain Routing",
IEEE Transactions on Networking, April 2002. [link]
- Craig Labovitz, Abha Ahuja,
Abhijit Bose, Farnam Jahanian, "Delayed Internet Routing
Convergence", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 9, No. 3
(April 2001), Pages 293-306. [pdf]
- A. Shaikh and A. Greenberg, "OSPF
Monitoring: Architecture, Design and Deployment Experience", Proc.
USENIX Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI),
- W. B. Norton, "Internet
Service Providers and Peering", Draft paper, 2000. [pdf]
Routing in Next-Generation
networks: Wireless, P2P, Overlays [Lecture 4]
- Douglas S. J. De Couto, Daniel
Aguayo, John Bicket, and Robert Morris, "A High-Throughput Path
Metric for Multi-Hop Wireless Routing", Mobicom '03 PDF
- Karp, B. and Kung, H.T. "GPSR: Greedy
Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks", Mobicom '00 PS
- Ion Stoica, Robert Morris, David
Liben-Nowell, David R. Karger, M. Frans Kaashoek, Frank Dabek, Hari
Balakrishnan, "Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Protocol for
Internet Applications", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking '02 PDF
- M. Caesar, M. Castro, E. Nightingale, G. O'Shea, A. Rowstron. "Virtual Ring Routing: Network Routing Inspired by DHTs",
SIGCOMM '06, PDF
Other related (optional) readings:
- Rodrigo Fonseca, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Jerry Zhao, Cheng Tien
Ee, David Culler, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica, "Beacon Vector Routing:
Scalable Point-to-Point Routing in Wireless Sensornets", NSDI '05, PDF
Li, John Jonnotti, Douglas De Couto, David R. Karger and Robert Morris,
"A scalable location service for geographic ad hoc routing", Mobicom
Rowstron and P. Druschel, "Pastry: Scalable, distributed object
location and routing for large-scale peer-to-peer systems". IFIP/ACM
International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms (Middleware)
IP and Overlay Multicast [Lecture 5]
- S. Deering and D. Cheriton, "Multicast
Routing in Datagram Internetworks and Extended LANs", ACM
Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS) '90, PDF
- J. Jannotti and D. Gifford and K. Johnson and M. F. Kaashoek and J. O'Toole.
"Overcast: Reliable Multicasting with an Overlay Network", OSDI 2000, PDF
- M. Castro, P. Druschel, A-M. Kermarrec, A.
Nandi, A. Rowstron and A. Singh,"SplitStream: High-bandwidth
multicast in a cooperative environment", SOSP'03, PDF
- S. Ratnasamy and A. Ermolinskiy and S. Shenker.
"Revisiting IP Multicast", SIGCOMM 2006,
PDF and its corresponding public review
- Yang-hua Chu, Aditya Ganjam, T. S. Eugene Ng, Sanjay G. Rao, Kunwadee Sripanidkulchai, Jibin Zhan, and Hui Zhang.
"Early Experience with an Internet Broadcast System Based on Overlay Multicast", USENIX Annual Technical Conference, 2004.
Enhancing Internet Services
using Overlays [Lecture 8]
- David J. Wetherall, "Active
network vision and reality: lessons from a capsule-based system", 17th
ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles (SOSP'99), Kiawah Island, SC,
- L. Subramanian, I. Stoica, H.
Balakrishnan and R. H. Katz."OverQoS: An Overlay based Architecture for
Enhancing Internet QoS", ACM/USENIX NSDI, March, 2004.
- D.G. Andersen, H. Balakrishnan, F.
Kaashoek and R. Morris. "Resilient Overlay Networks", ACM SOSP
- D. L. Tennenhouse and D. J.
Wetherall, "Towards an Active Network Architecture", Computer
Communication Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, April 1996.
- Y. Chu, S. G. Rao, and H. Zhang,
"A Case For End System Multicast", Proceedings of ACM
SIGMETRICS'00, Santa Clara,CA, June 2000, pp 1-12
- D. R. Karger, E. Lehman, F. T.
Leighton, R. Panigrahy, M. S. Levine, D. Lewin, "Consistent Hashing and
Random Trees: Distributed Caching Protocols for Relieving Hot Spots on the
World Wide Web", Proceedings of STOC'97, pp. 654-663
Overlay and P2P Systems (Security and Incentives) [Lecture 9]
- Bram Cohen. BitTorrent. P2PEcon 2003. PDF.
- Harry C. Li, Allen Clement, Edmund L. Wong, Jeff Napper, Indrajit Roy, Lorenzo Alvisi, and Michael Dahlin, "BAR Gossip", OSDI '06PDF
- Kevin Walsh, Emin Gün Sirer, "Experience With A Distributed Object Reputation System for Peer-to-Peer Filesharing", NSDI '05 PDF
- John R. Douceur. The Sybil Attack. In Proceedings of the IPTPS02 Workshop, Cambridge, MA (USA), March 2002.
- H. Yu, M. Kaminsky, P. B. Gibbons, A. Flaxman, "SybilGuard: Defending Against Sybil Attacks via Social Networks", SIGCOMM '06, PDF
- Landon P. Cox, Brian D. Noble, "Samsara: Honor Among Thieves in Peer-to-Peer Storage", SOSP '03, PDF
Network Security: Firewalls, DoS,
Secure Routing, Worms [Lecture 10]
- V. Paxson, "Bro: A System for
Detecting Network Intruders in Real-Time", Computer Networks, 31(23-24)
pp. 2435-2463, Dec. 14, 1999.
- D. Moore, G. Voelker, and S. Savage,
"Inferring Internet Denial of Service Activity", Proceedings of
the 2001 USENIX Security Symposium, Washington D.C., August 2001.
- L. Subramanian, V. Roth, I. Stoica,
S. Shenker and R.H. Katz. "Listen and Whisper: Security Mechanisms for
BGP". ACM/USENIX NSDI 2004.
- S. Singh, C. Estan, G. Varghese and
S. Savage. "Automated Worm Fingerprinting". USENIX OSDI 2004.
- J. Newsome, B. Karp, and D. Song,
"Polygraph: Automatically Generating Signatures for Polymorphic
Worms", Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy
(Oakland 2005), Oakland, CA, May, 2005.
- S. Savage, D. Wetherall, A. Karlin
and T. Anderson, "Practical Network Support for IP Traceback", ACM
Achieving High Throughput in Wireless Networks
- Vaduvur Bharghavan, Alan Demers, Scott Shenker, Lixia Zhang "MACAW: a media access protocol for wireless LAN's". Proceedings of the conference on Communications architectures, protocols and applications (1994). PDF
- Sanjit Biswas and Robert Morris,
"Opportunistic Routing in Multi-Hop Wireless Networks", SIGCOMM
- Sachin Katti, Hariharan Rahul, Wenjun Hu,
Dina Katabi, Muriel Medard, and Jon Crowcroft "XORs In The Air:
Practical Wireless Network Coding," ACM SIGCOMM 06, PDF
- Jinyang Li, Charles Blake, Douglas S. J. De Couto, Hu Imm Lee, and Robert Morris, Capacity of Ad Hoc Wireless Networks, Mobicom '01, PDF
- Alec Woo, Kamin Whitehouse, Xiaofan Jiang, Joseph Polastre, David Culler, "Exploiting the Capture Effect for Collision Detection and Recovery",The Second IEEE Workshop on Embedded Networked Sensors, 2005, PDF
- John Bicket, Daniel Aguayo, Sanjit Biswas, and Robert Morris, "Architecture and Evaluation of an Unplanned 802.11b Mesh Network", Mobicom 2005,
Wireless Networks: Long-distance,
TCP issues and sensor networks [Lecture 12]
- B. Raman and K. Cherbolu.
"Design and Evaluation of a new MAC protocol for Long-Distance Wireless
Networks", ACM MOBICOM 2005.
- A. Bakre and B.R. Badrinath,
"I-TCP: Indirect TCP for Mobile Hosts", Technical Report
DCS-TR-314, Rutgers University, Oct. 1994.
- H. Balakrishnan, S. Seshan,
E. Amir and R. H. Katz. "Improving TCP/IP performance over wireless
networks". ACM Mobicom 1995.
- J. Hill, P. Levis, S. Madden, A.
Woo, J. Polastre, C. Whitehouse, R. Szewczyk, C. Sharp, D. Gay, M.
Welsh, D. Culler and E. Brewer. " TinyOS: An Operating System for
- Philip Levis, Sam Madden, David Gay,
Joseph Polastre, Robert Szewczyk, Alec Woo, Eric Brewer, and David Culler.
" The Emergence of Networking Abstractions and Techniques for TinyOS".
ACM/USENIX NSDI 2004.
- J. Heidemann, F. Silva, C.
Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, D. Estrin and D. Ganesan. "Building
Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks with Low Level Naming", ACM SOSP