Computer Systems Organization I - Prof. Grishman
Quiz #2 Review Sheet
The second quiz of the course will be given on Tuesday, November 15th. It
is worth 15 points towards your final grade.
You will have all period for the quiz. It is an open book quiz
... you may bring your textbook and any other written
materials. You may not exchange materials with anyone else during
The quiz will primarily cover C programming, and in particular the
aspects of C which are different from Java, and which we have
emphasized over the last 3 weeks:
- character arrays for strings; zero ('\0') terminator
- function arguments: values vs. addresses
- using pointers for returning values from functions [P&P, pp.
- using pointers for array access
- arrays of pointers
- memory allocation (malloc and
free) [P&P, pp.
- C I/O: printf; getchar and putchar; EOF [P&P, pp.
- structures [P&P, pp. 497-504]
We may ask about static and
automatic variables, and about static allocation vs. allocation on the
stack or heap; [P&P pp. 328-330, 504-508]
We may ask you how the stack is used by functions in C [P&P 385-394]
Finally, to test your long-term memory, we may ask about how a C
statement would be translated into LC-3 assembler.